Saturday, March 1, 2014

Ibrahim, Chaleta and Brown

Ibrahim, N. H., & Allen, D. (2012). Information sharing and trust during major incidents: Findings from the oil industry. Journal of the American Society of Information Science and Technology, 63(10), 1916-1928

I enjoyed this article and thought that it made some good observations and points. Information management and sharing is vital to the success of any business but even more so when your business is oil drilling and other large scale operations. In this pursuits when something bad happens it is really bad. The potential of disaster is high when something goes wrong and the ability to communicate and share knowledge and information is paramount to the success of damage control. In terms of oil rigs offshore it is highly important that information is shared and that their is a trust between those who are sharing it. More research on this topic most certainly needs to be done in order to develop new strategies and acquire new knowledge to help prevent the worse from happening.

Chalmeta, R., & Grangel, R. (2008). Methodology for the implementation of knowledge management systems. Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 59(5), 742-755

I found the article to be a bit boring but it made some good points and outlined a process to successfully develop and implement a KMS in any organization or business. The outline was very clear and I found that it made all kinds of sense. There are only five phases; identification, extraction, representation, processing and utilization. All five phases are exactly what they sound like: identify the knowledge needed, extract it,  how the knowledge is represented, etc... Each phase is vital to the next and without one you do not have a whole. In writing it is a very simple process but I am sure there are some situations in which things could become a little more difficult.

Brown, J. S., & Duguid, P. (1991). Organizational learning and communities-of-practice: Toward a unified view of working, learning, and innovation. Organization Science, 2(1), 40-57.

Really good article. Basically looks at the way organizations train their employees and outline how they should work and then compares that to the way employees actually learn and work. Loved the point he made about how companies pay more attention to how the manuals say their employees work and learn as opposed to how they actually do it. I know I have read countless employee manuals and attended I don't know how many training sessions with all of the jobs I have had, and never once did I think what I was doing was beneficial to me or my job. It was always considered by myself and my peers as a way of time and a day away from the office. There are definitely better approaches out there that could be taken in regards to working, learning and innovating.

2 comments:

  1. I love the Ibrahim article! It's one of my favorites. I especially love the idea that trust is not only important to producing solutions to problems, but that proper knowledge-sharing actually helps facilitate that trust.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. There has to be a level of trust there or some things will just not get shared. When dealing with crisis situations like an oil spill trust is paramount or the damages will only continue to get worse and a solution may take much longer to reach.

    ReplyDelete