Monday, April 7, 2014

Goggins, Wasko and Chua


The Information Society, Vol. 29, No. 2. (27 February 2013), pp. 113-127 

This article looks at how factors such as informational, cultural and distance can effect the business practices and operating procedures of a rural based IT firm. I found this article and study to be very interesting and practical as well. With this class being my first experience and in depth look and knowledge management I constantly found myself being presented with new, exciting information. In regards to this paper, I enjoyed it because of how it focuses on and looks at how distance and other factors attributed to it effects and can in some cases dictate how information is shared and transmitted. I know that I personally would not have thought about these things right off the bat, and would not have noticed how these things can effect an organization until problems arose. A study like this can greatly help future business be able to best utilize informatio sharing that cover physical, international and cultural distance to improve how the operate and share knowledge. 


MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1. (2005), pp. 35-57 
While I enjoyed this article I did not find that I was being presented with new and interesting information. I understand the value of the study, and it is important for organizations to understand why their employees and constituencies use and share knowledge but I did not feel that this particular study made any advances with the subject in question. The electronic network they discuss made me immediately think of a chat room or forum which have been around and used by a large number of people for many years now. I also did n ot feel that why the employees share information to be that informative. I thought that it went without saying that the majority of people who would use this type of resource would do so only if they thought that it would in some way benefit them.

Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, Vol. 58, No. 10. (1 August 2007), pp. 1518-1528, 

This has been one of my favorite articles that I have read so far. For some reason I find myself to be vastly interested in how KM practices work during a crisis. I find all of the reasons that pop up dealing with why people still do not share information at these times to be very intriguing and what these decisions can tell us about the human character and how we think. One of my favorite aspects of the article was how the author compared knowledge management efforts during two different major natural crises.

3 comments:

  1. Joe, I also have had a hard time reading some of the various KM articles this semester because they either seem to repeat other studies or confirm what has already been suspected. I guess that's the thing with research, if a study confirms your hypothesis then you can move on, but it only seems to get really interesting if a study finds something completely different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree. Now that the semester is at an end I have come to the conclusion that very little truly new studies are done. They all seem to build off one another in some way.

      Delete
  2. IIRC, one of hte fundamental principles for a scientific study to be valid is that it has to be reproduceable...and of course, theories are true only until someone else's experiment proves them false, right? (I'm still waiting for the experiment that disproves the theory of gravity)

    ReplyDelete