Thursday, May 1, 2014

Wang & Lu, McLure & Faraj and Schultze

A Confessional Account of an Ethnography about Knowledge Work

MIS Quarterly, Vol. 24, No. 1. (March 2000), pp. 3-41

 
Read this article a couple times through and still do not fully understand what it is about. I know that the author looked at how information is produced rather than how it is used. He looks at three different information professionals and the informing practices that they relied upon. I guess this is a good study but I was bored out of my mind both times I read it.
 
 
 

Why Should I Share? Examining Social Capital and Knowledge Contribution in Electronic Networks of Practice

MIS Quarterly, Vol. 29, No. 1. (March 2005), pp. 35-57

 
This article looks at why people contribute their own knowledge to online networks when there is no apparent benefit to them. It is surmised that people do it to enhance their own professional reputation or when they are already "structurally embedded" in the network. I found the article interesting but from my own life experiences people like to know things, and when they do they feel a need to share it with others. There is a personal satisfaction that comes with showing others how much you know. I enjoyed the article but I had already come to the conclusion that it is just human nature to have a desire to appear as if you are well versed in any particular field. And in many instances the person feels some level of superiority for knowing something that someone else doesn't.
 
 
 
Knowledge transfer in response to organizational crises: An exploratory study Expert Systems with Applications, Vol. 37, No. 5. (May 2010), pp. 3934-3942,
 
To begin with I really liked this article because it involved motorcycles. I have a motorcycle and love them, so I was interested before I had even finished reading the abstract. The article itself looked at how a crisis situation was handled during a product recall for a motorcycle manufacturer. The authors evaluated the effectiveness and influence of knowledge transfer and knowledge transfer channels during the incident. The conclusion was that there were a variety of different channels that were used and there was an overall positive influence on the performance of the organization while handling the crisis because of the knowledge transfers that were taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment